- White and at least one different (neutral) colored shirt for office wear.
- Black trousers with a good fabric (wear and tear proof), which is dirt resistant (many such fabrics are available in the market today, just do a little bit of research before you buy). Make sure it is well fitted and comfortable to wear for the long office hours. There are fabrics available in the market that suit all seasons.
- A medium length straight fit dark grey or black skirt. Neither too short, nor too long. Just on the knee is a good idea.
- A good pair of denims. I fancy classic blue denim or black denim, but you can go ahead and be a little inventive and buy another pair in a more vibrant color and surface. Go for a straight fit medium rise and dark wash for the one essential pair.
- A couple of V-neck T shirts for the casual look and well the colors can be of your choice, depending on your taste. A nice light color is also a good option for those random outings.
- Two printed tops, the suggestion would be for small, sophisticated prints in colors which compliment the skin tone.
- Have a classic cardigan for the winter; they never go out of fashion. Other than that, have at least one turtle neck and one V-neck sweater
- A jacket in a neutral color for people living in very cold climates.
- A clutch purse and a tote bag in neutral colors to carry around. Don’t make it too flimsy, as they neither last nor do they go well with everything every time. A tote bag in good quality leather would probably cost more, but it is a good buy as they tend to look good even in a non office environment
- I would also suggest one additional item of a silk scarf in a good color.
- Again, a solid white shirt, full sleeved, and of a good brand, in crisp cotton. Have another pair in a light blue.
- A well fitted blue jeans. A comfortable, well fitted blue jeans can work a long way into a woman’s heart. O.K., jokes apart, it also makes a man look extremely good. And they go with the kurtas, Tshirts and the shirts. Don’t go for the faded, washed, studded look with that classic pair. Take another pair and do all the ripping.
- A solid dark suit, I would suggest a grey pinstripe too, but if it is only a pair you can afford, go for the dark solid one. It goes everywhere, whether to corporate meetings, or to formal events. Make sure it is a good fit and well tailored.
- A corporate tie is a very essential piece of clothing that should be there in your wardrobe. A paisley print or stripes or herringbone patterned ties of medium width and dark tones are a good choice for the formal look. Make sure it goes with your dark suit.
- One solid colored and one striped polo neck T shirt. Don’t go for a bold stripe. Go for thin striped between bigger stripes.
- A couple of V neck T shirts, in different colors and shades. Have also a variety of full sleeves and half sleeves T shirts in V neck. Men tend to have very nasty prints on their T shirts, which do have a point, but not much sophistication. I would stay away from those. Have the good prints in round neck t shirts, if you want to go for them.
- A V neck sweater with a waist band pairs well with collared shirts. You may go for a patterned or a solid color for this one.
- A pair of khakis or chinos. Common! I’m sure you get bored of your jeans and corporate pants once in a while. These comfortable fabrics are good looking and also go with almost everything. Just be a little careful they are not very wear and tear resistant.
- A smart jacket. Always a friend for that adventurous bike ride, or even that casual outing with your girlfriend and wife.
- A good purse. Need I say more about this one?